Let us agree on this first.
Regular exercise does not only improve our heart condition and reduce the risk of heart attack, but also promote our overall well-being. In the developed countries, coronary heart disease is the main cause of death and disability. In the other hand, “A large number of epidemiological studies have consistently demonstrated that regular physical activity reduces the risk of heart attack, stroke, sudden cardiac death, atrial fibrillation, and congestive heart failure,” says Howard Sesso, an epidemiologist at the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health. Many studies also demonstrated that by working regularly, most people can reduce the risk of coronary heart diseases. It is even better to do something that will cause you to sweat.
It is always better to do little than not doing anything at all. Not doing exercise is comparable to smoking a packet of cigarette per day, to developing bad cholesterol, to elevating your own blood pressure. Walking, even just a little at a time, helps the heart to pump more blood. And as the exercise, it gets stronger and better. So, for the good of your heart, it is a most to adopt a modest fitness life style at first and ramp up the intensity gradually.
You might need to contact a cardiac rehabilitation program in order to get the best of exercises that are fit for you. This is most recommendable in case you have been victim of a heart attack during an exercise activity, if you are an obese person or if you are an aged person. Dancing can also be a good alternative to walking.
How much exercise will be good for my heart?
According to the American’s government Physical Activity Guidelines,
To improve your overall health, do 150 minutes a week of moderate-intensity aerobic activity like:
- walking briskly (3 mph or faster, but not race-walking)
- water aerobics
- bicycling slower than 10 mph
- doubles tennis
- ballroom dancing
75 minutes a week of vigorous-intensity aerobic activity like:
- race-walking, jogging, or running
- swimming laps
- singles tennis
- aerobic dancing
- bicycling 10 mph or faster
- jumping rope
- hiking uphill or with a heavy backpack
To improve your health even more, increase your activity to 300 minutes a week of moderate-intensity OR 150 minutes a week of vigorous-intensity activity. If you go beyond either, you’ll gain even more health benefits.
How do Exercise reduce the risk of coronary diseases?
The Body need good cholesterol. The good cholesterol is known as lipoprotein cholesterol (HDLC). Exercise increases the density of this cholesterol in the blood. When this cholesterol is increased, the risk of diabetes and hypertension is reduced. The net benefit is associated with the intensity of weekly exercise.
Physical activity also lowers blood pressure. And when the blood pressure is lowered, the risk of coronary diseases such as hypertension is reduced. A recent review of 25 long-term studies concluded that aerobic exercise training leads to reductions in systolic and diastolic blood pressure, averaging 10.8 mmHg and 8.2 mmHg respectively.
Regular physical activity can help manage and even prevent noninsulin-dependent diabetes mellitus and so, the risk of developing diabetes will be reduced.
Excess weight is due to excess calorie in the blood. Exercise can increase calorie expenditure and lower the level of calorie in the blood. When the level of calorie in the blood is lowered, the risk of obesity is also reduced. We also have to note that obesity can lead to some type of cancer.
Controlling your level of exercise.
Some extreme exercise can also expose you to some kind of risks.
Before starting an exercise program, a medical checkup might be necessary to know your exact state f health. An exercise test might be necessary in some cases. You have to train your muscle to avoid muscle and joins injuries or even a sudden cardiac death.
The exercise program that an individual must adopt must first be very mild and enjoyable. It must not be unduly stressful. According to the guidelines established by the American College of Sports Medicine, a basic cardiovascular fitness program should consist of a warm up, an aerobic conditioning period and a cool down. The warm-up period should be five to 10 minutes in duration and should include low intensity exercises and a short stretching program. The aerobic conditioning period usually lasts from 20 to 40 minutes. The most commonly recommended aerobic activities include brisk walking, jogging, swimming, bicycling, cross-country skiing, stepping and rowing.
Exercises at the Comfort of your home.
In some constraining environment, you might decide to do exercise at the comfort of your home. In such a case you might need some special kit or apparatus. We review some stuff that you might need for your fitness program here.
- Sunny Health & Fitness Full Motion Rowing Machine Rower with 350 lb capacity and LCD monitor.
This might be the best machine for the improvement of your overall fitness. THe machine is designed for a moderate level of exercise at the comfort of your home. You can control your intensity of exercise thanks to the Digital Control that monitors the intensity of your exercise. The meter displays time, calories, reps/min and count. Mobile device bracket included for convenience.The machine is built for the complete workout of your system. Your entire body is working at the rythm that you have chosen.
– The machine allows full motion of your arms. the grip is a non-slip grip that gives you a genuine rowing experience.
– Most importantly, the machine has 5 levels of incline for an incredible squad and arm workout.
– The machine is safe and Comfortable to use. It is compact and light weight. the weight does not exceed 350lb( 160kg) .It is equiped with Large anti-slip pedals strap to fit your foot, helping keep balanced and stable on the rowing equipment. Dimensions: 55L X 22W X 18H (140 cm x 56 cm x 46 cm).
THe cheapest place to get it is Amazon. It cost CDN$291.54. THte machine is built to last as long as you will live. it will transcend your generation and your children children will use it.
2. Indoor cycling might just be the best exercise for your heart. To this end, you will need a comfortable Indoor Exercise Bike Cycling Spinning Bike Home Gym Cardio Traing. The best one, which is obtainable at Amazon might just be the ONETWOFIT Indoor Bike OT018R.
It is very confortable for use. The bike is built witth high density sponge,non-slip for shock absorption and it is breathable.
Other Characteristique include:
- Full adjustability. Seat forward and backward,up-and-down adjustment,and the handle bar top to bottom regulation function makes the best comfort when grip the positions.
- Stepless Resistance Adjustement. This feature allows you to Choose the suitable RESISTANCE level by turning left and right in order to get the perfect effcet.
- YOGA MATS TO PROTECT THE FLOOR: Come with a yoga mat(120 x 61 x 1 cm) to protect the floor from collision.
- FLYWHEEL: Powerful and stable 28.7 lbs(13kg) chromed flywheel connected with adjustable pressure resistance,riding more smoothly.
The cost of this bike is CDN$399.29. the cheapest place to have it is here at Amazon.
3. You may prefer a more sophisticated but comfortable machine such as the powerful Programmable bike : SOLE Fitness R52 Recumbent Exercise Bike available at amazon.
This bike has 24 levels of computerized auto tension resistance with 22 lb magnetic flywheel system.
In order to make your training more relax and enjoyable, you can listen to music while training through the Bluetooth 3.0 Speakers from any enabled smart device. For your comfort, the machine is built with Stationary handlebars with dual contact heart rate grips on side seat handlebars, articulating pedals with adjustable straps, with true ‘step thru’ frame design , and a 6.5-Inch blue backlit LCD screen with 28 program options and real time feedback displaying tine, speed, distance, calories, pulse, level, laps and heart rate . You would like to buy a model of the machine here.
As much as physical exercise is good for your health, thte advice of the family doctor is very neccessary in the type of exercise your need. It is even better to use apparatus that can help you monitor the intensitity of your exercise. the apparatus must be, in all case, adjustable as the ones we recommended in this project.