Exercise alone is not enough
We all know that most American people are at risk of obesity. Evidence shows that obesity opens the door to cancer and other diseases such as Type 2 diabetes, heart disease, high blood pressure, and stroke.
Exercise alone is not enough to help someone lose weight. Exercise must be accompanied by some other measures to make weight loss more effective. These measures include:
– Make sure that as you lost calories through exercise you do not get back the same through food. A low-calorie diet should be considered as you embark on the journey of losing weight through exercise. knowing the type of food you must take as you undertake this program must be the starting point and this book can be a good resource to that end: Weight Watchers. It is a good resource book available on Amazon.com.
– Take all the medicines prescribed by your doctor.
– Start exercise at the lowest intensity and increase gradually. You might start with dance or simply by walking regularly. You can also start with some home exercise that will require you buying some equipment and kit.
– You can join a gym club
– You will also need a pedometer or other activity tracker to monitor your progress. Slowly work toward a goal, like maybe 10,000 steps per day.
Empirically it has been observed that exercise alone was not enough to help people lose weight. Exercise can surely help in burning fat and reduce the risk of type 2 diabetes, heart disease, stroke, some cancers, bone loss, muscle loss, and more. There must be a clear balance between exercise and your diet. Your diet must not nullify the effort of your exercise.
What type of exercise to choose for your weight loss program?
Both anaerobic program and aerobic exercises should be considered. Both can greatly help to ameliorate your overall state of health. The most important thing is that you should talk to your doctor.
It is often safer to start with aerobic exercise like walking. Anaerobic exercise is effort-intensive and should never be the starting point. When you start with a simple walk, you may combine later with resistance workout.
Aerobic Program and cautions
The American College of Sports Medicine offers these guidelines for losing weight (Pescatello et al., 2013):
– When being on this program, aim to reduce your current calorie intake by 500 to 1,000 per day.
– Begin a steady increase to at least 150 minutes per week of moderate-intensity physical activity for overall health benefits.
– Consider higher amounts of exercise (300 minutes or more per week) to promote long-term weight control.
As a caution, if you are just a starter,
– Start at a very low pace. 10-20 minutes of walk per day might be enough for a start. The most important thing is that you should gradually increase the tempo.
– If you exercise at a high intensity, you will not be able to exercise for a long time. That means you will use less total energy. Also, you have a higher risk of injury.
– Being overweight can be hard on your joints. Choose activities that minimize your risk of injury. Swimming and water exercise are great alternatives if other activities are uncomfortable. They are also good for hot and humid days.
– Drink plenty of fluids before, during, and after exercise. Be careful not to overdo it! Extra weight makes it easier for the body to overheat.
Resistance Program and cautions
Resistance program plays also a major role in maintaining overall good health. For a resistance program, we suggest the following
– Do the Program only twice per week.
– The resistance Program might be weight lifting for 10-20 times, or just resistance work out. Make short it is not long at a start in order to avoid muscle or joint injury.
– Exercise all major muscle groups using either free weights or a machine. There is no difference between the two methods.
As caution for a Resistance Program,
– Do not continue to lift a weight when you feel exhausted. The intensity of the last few repetitions will be close to your maximum. Also, the rise in your blood pressure may be too great.
– Avoid holding your breath when lifting. This can cause large changes in blood pressure. That change may increase the risk of passing out or developing abnormal heart rhythms.
You are in need of special advice, you can send me a direct email via email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org or a direct WhatsApp message at +237651540532.
You may also want to comment about this post, share your personal testimony, or ask a personal question, please leave it in the comment box.