Hippocrates had already advised: ‘Let thy food be thy medicine and let thy medicine be thy food’. It is a scientifically proven and well known fact that what we eat affect either positively or negatively our state of health. Consequently we need to pay attention to our eating habits( type, origine,quality and quantity of food we eat). It is specially important to pay more attention to our eating habits when we have a medical condition such as cancer.
As a cancer patient, you must have been advised by the medical team on the kind of foods that are best for you. You don’t only need the ‘Best foods for cancer patients’ but also, you need to take food which is safe for your body.
Why do I need safe food as a Cancer patient?
Some types of cancer weaken the immune system of the patients. If you don’t take safe food, you can get infected and this will worsen your condition.This infection is manifested by a rise in your body temperature, shakings, fever, etc. It is an indication that your white blood cell count is low, and more than ever you need to take safe food. The following is a guide to make your food safe:
- Wash thoroughly your fruits and vegetable with running water from a tape.
- Avoid outside eating (bars, buffets, etc.)
- Do not drink water from unsure sources (well, lakes, …)
- If using filtered water, change filter regularly.
- Wash your hands with soap and clean water frequently after greeting people, after sanitation, before eating, after and before food cooking, etc.
- Do not mix ready to eat food with raw foods.
It might be better for you to take organic food over their conventional counterpart. learn more about organic food here: organic food.
are dietary supplements safe for me as a cancer patient?
The Dietary Supplement Health and Education Act (DSHEA) of 1994 defines dietary supplements as products taken by mouth that contain “dietary ingredients” used to supplement the diet. Those dietary supplement include vitamins, minerals, amino acids, etc. The dietary supplement come in the form of tablets, teas, extracts, liquids, concentrates, powders, etc.
Most people suffering from cancer or not have the habits of using dietary supplements to balance their body need of some nutrients. But for cancer patients, it is not always safe to use them without medical advice. This is so because, those supplements may interact with the treatment and make the treatment less effective. ‘Some research shows that large doses of nutrients from dietary supplements may actually keep cancer cells from being destroyed by interfering with conventional therapy’ ( American Institute for Cancer Research, June, 2013). However, if the need of taking dietary supplement imposes itself, the following can serve as a guide for taking dietary supplement for cancer patients:
- The health care team most advise on the use of dietary supplement.
- Dietary supplement should not be used as a mean of cancer prevention. Some natural food can be used to this end (see our article what to eat when preventing cancer? – Prevention and treatment of cancer via food.). a beeter alternative would have been a well-taught diet; learn more: here.
- Dietary supplement can be used in case of conditions such as : osteoporosis and iron-deficiency anemia
The best diet for cancer patient; in general, remains a Plants-based diet.
List of food for cancer patients
When we are under a cancer condition, we must be aware that eating some kind of food can worsen our condition as well as eating some others can improve our condition and help in quick recovery. The US Department of health and Human services/ National institutes of Health ( www.cancer.gov )help us to come out with a list of food for cancer patients with respect to the symptoms which occur during the treatment.The conditions that can come along with cancer treatment include vomitting, nausea, loss of weight, gain of weight, diarrhea, fatigue, loss of appetite, consticipation, etc.
You can click on the food name or image for more details or to know where you can buy them.
Recommended when loss of appetite, diarrhea or vomiting occur (Clear liquids).
This list might be particularly helpful if the following symptoms occur: loss of appetite, diarrhea or vomiting. You might click the link for more details.
– Clear, fat-free broth
– Fruits ices made fruits pieces or milk.
– Sports drinks
– Weak, caffeine free tea.
– Clear carbonated beverage
– Fruits flavored drinks
– Clear Apple juice
– Fruit punch
If you have specific challenge for eating, this book might help: Goes Down easy: Recipe to help cope with the challenge of eating during cancer treatment.
Recommended when appetite loss, vomiting, or weight loss occur (Full liquid Food).
This list might be particularly helpful if the following symptoms occur: appetite loss, vomiting, or weight loss occur. You might click the link for more details.
Desserts and snacks
- Frozen Yoghurt.
- Soft or baked custard, Ice cream with not chunks.
- Ice milk
- Sorbet, Syrup
- Fruits drinks
- Carbonated drinks
- Cream of wheat
- Cream of rice
- Instant oatmeal
- Strained soup
Recommended when vomiting and nausea occur (Foods and Drinks that Are Easy on the Stomach)
This list might be particularly helpful if the following symptoms occur: vomiting and nausea. You might click the link for more details.
Main meals and snacks
- Beef, tender cuts only
- White toast
- Refined cold cereals, such as corn flakes, Rice Krispies, Rice Chex, and Corn Chex
- Cheese, hard, mild types, such as American
- Cheese, soft or semi-soft, such as cottage cheese or cream cheese, Chicken or turkey, broiled or baked without skin, Eggs, Fish, poached or broiled, Vegetables, tender, well-cooked
- Pasta, plain, Peanut butter, creamy, and other nut butters, Potatoes, without skins, boiled or baked
- Refined hot cereals, such as Cream of Wheat, Saltine crackers
- Tortillas, white flour
- White bread, White rice
- Vegetable juices
- – Water, Clear carbonated drinks that have lost their fizz, Cranberry or grape juice
- Fruit-flavored drinks, Fruit punch
- Sports drinks
- Clear broth (such as chicken, vegetable, or beef)
- All kinds (strain or puree, if needed), except those made with foods that cause gas, such as dried beans and peas, broccoli, or cabbage.
Desserts and snacks
- Lemon Drop candy, Popsicle, Ice cream, Plain Yoghurt or Vanilla, Frozen Yoghurt, Gelatin, Banana, Angel food cake, Ice milk, Pudding, Canned fruits,Custard
Recommended when diarrhea occurs (Low-Fiber Foods)
This list might be particularly helpful if the following symptom occur: diarrhea. You might click the links for more details.
- Potatoes without skin ( fried or boiled),White bread,White rice
- Chicken or turkey (skinless and baked, broiled, or grilled)
- Cooked refined cereals (such as Cream of Rice®, instant oatmeal, and grits)
Fruits and vegetables
- Carrots, cooked, Canned fruit, such as peaches, pears, and applesaucee,Mushroom, String beans, cooked
- Vegetable juice, Fruit juic
- Butter, Mayonnaise, Oil
- Salad dressing (without seeds)
Sweets and snacks
- Saltine crackers
- Sherbet, Sorbet, Vanilla wafers,Yogurt (plain or vanilla),Angel food cake
- Animal crackers
- Ginger snaps
- Graham crackers
Recommended when constipation occurs (high-Fiber Foods)
This list might be particularly helpful if the following symptom occur: constipation. You might click the links for more details.
Fruits and vegetables
- Whole-wheat pasta
- Fruits and vegetables
- Green leafy vegetables, such as spinach, lettuce, kale, and collard greens
- Potatoes with skins
- Sweet potatoes
- Berries, such as blueberries, blackberries, and strawberries
- Brussels sprouts
- Dried fruit, such as apricots, dates, prunes, and raisins
- Whole-grain cereals, such as oatmeal and shredded wheat
- Whole-wheat bread
- Whole-wheat pasta
- Peanut butter and other nut butters
- Soups with vegetables and beans, such as lentil and split pea
- Bran muffins
- Bran or whole-grain cereals
- Cooked dried or canned peas and beans, such as lentils or pinto, black, red, or kidney beans
- – Popcorn, Seeds, such as pumpkin or sunflower, Trail mix, Bran snack bars, Granola
Recommended when loss of appetite occurs (Quick and Easy Snacks)
This list might be particularly helpful if the following symptom occur: loss of appetite. You might click the links for more details.
Desserts and snacks
- Ice cream, Nuts, Popcorn, Popsicles, Puddings, Sherbet, Sorbet, Trail mix, Yogurt, Cakes and cookies made with whole grains, fruits, nuts, wheat germ, or granola
- Custard, Dips made with cheese, beans, or sour cream, Frozen yogurt, Gelatin, Granola, Granola bars
Fruits and vegetables
- Vegetables, raw or cooked
- – Fresh or canned fruit
- Muffins, Nuts, Peanut butter and other nut butters, Pita bread and hummus, Sandwiches, Bread, Cereal, Cheese, hard or semisoft, Crackers
- Cream soups
- Hard-boiled and deviled eggs
- Milk,Milkshake, Chocolate milk, Instant breakfast drinks
You are fighting against cancer, you can send me a direct email via firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com or a direct whatsapp message at +237651540532, i will talk with you and I will join faith witth you in prayer or you might want to know more about the challenge of eating during cancer treatment. clik here
You may also want to comment about this post, share your personal testimony, or ask a personnal question, please leave it in the comment box.
Bonus: Discover your True Calling and live happier
People refuse to take the responsibility of taking the risk to develop their God-given gift and to take a career course inspired by their gift because they don’t want to take risks. They prefer the securities of a paid job, even if this job can be boring and unsatisfactory with many respects. They have adopted the old thought: “have a steady job and work for a pension” .They don’t recognize that this zone is not safe as it seems to be because they are at risk of leading a wasted life: life where the greater part of their potential has been left undeveloped and unused. Taking risk is to choose a course of action, advance into it despite fears, but with the require knowledge and with success in mind. It is only risk takers who can accomplish things of great significance in life. . They don’t realize that all that make life easy is someone contribution to humanity. At a point in time, someone has been willing to take the risk of using his God given ability and the result are the many inventions and innovations that make the world a better place to be. To everyone gift a mission is attached. This make us accountable to the gift giver ( the creator); failure to realize this by taking the full responsibility before God and men to discover, develop and deploy one giftedness is what the bible call “ sin”. Etymologically, “sin” means “to miss the target”. Sinning is missing the purpose of existence. Man is created to serve. TO serve God and humanity in a capacity given by God. Refusal to do this is sin; it is the conscious or unconscious decision to live a wasted life. This must rightfully inspire us with the feeling of shame. We cannot have one of the greatest blessing of God in us (a gift), be created at his very image (having part of his ability), be living in a period like this (the digital age which has made volume of information which were not accessible some centuries back now accessible at a fingertip) and still be unable to find enough inspiration to developing our God-given gift and inspire our own generation. Risk taking most stems from someone knowledge of situation, analysis of his own strength and weakness.
Living outside the deployment of one giftedness is death in disguise. This is most of the time the result of avoiding to fall short of someone expectations. This “someone” are often our parents or someone having a certain influence on us. Most of time, this is also the result of societal influence. People want to do like everyone else, they don’t want to appear odd, they think it is safe to simply follow the popular norm; the status-quo. People prefer to follow a course which someone else (parent, society, Government, friend, spiritual leader, etc…) think is safe for them to follow. People do not look inward to search their innermost desire, dream, hopes, tendencies and/or ability in an attempt to decide which type of life they will led. Most people do not even consult God who has a clear model of success for each individual on earth. In God’s model of success, there is a gift that must be discovered ( 1 co7.7), there is project to carry out (Eph2.10), there is a plan to follow ( Je29.11) and there is a companion to led us all the way of the filling of God’s plan (1 co2.9-10). God’s model of success is risky by human standard, but it is the safest path to follow if someone want to lead a flourishing life in all ramifications. God’s wisdom is foolishness for men. People must dare to take risk and to take it responsibly that is involving God in risk taking.
We have proposed a number of Job you can do online whether you are still a student, or you have graduated and are looking for a job, or whether you are working somewhere and you are not comfortable at that work. But before you look at these jobs to see what will be must convenient to you, you first need to discover your True Calling and to do that, Click here to start. If you do that, you will see how your True calling will literally shower you with money.